Setting judgehost password programatically, via MariaDB cli client

Michał Kaczanowicz mj.kaczanowicz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 19:42:52 CET 2019

You're right, now it works :D Even though programming is my job and
passion, now I see how much there is still to learn for me (and I am really
greatful for pointing that).
To summarize, the command I use with docker to change password to NEW_PASS
for user judgehost from command line is:

    $ docker-compose exec db mysql -u domjudge -p \
        -e "use domjudge; update user set password='$(htpasswd -bnB ""
NEW_PASS | tr -d ':\n')' where username = 'judgehost';"

where "db" is simply a name for docker compose service. Thank you all for
your help!

Cheers,
Michał

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 7:25 PM Keith Johnson <kj at ubergeek42.com> wrote:

> The beginning of the password contains a random salt(in a standardized
> format), and it changes every time you generate the password. But during
> verification, the code reads the salt from the hash and uses it with the
> submitted password to calculate the same hash.
>
> See the description section here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bcrypt
>
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2019, 13:19 Michał Kaczanowicz <mj.kaczanowicz at gmail.com
> wrote:
>
>> My problem at the moment is - I checked several options for password
>> hashing algorithm both with php and htpasswd and none of them matches value
>> in db :(
>> In my example user is judgehost and password is test, and hash stored in
>> db is:
>>
>> $2y$10$FdUtw5PKeM/7aLjt1QI3uOVW5l9u4dG0F9q2SBWixiMzLNqaym76q
>>
>> What's more cryptic to me, I "changed" the password via web interface
>> several time to the same "test" password and each time record in db changed
>> its value. Perheps someone has an idea on how is that even possible?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Michał
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 9:03 AM Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs at kinkhorst.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Michał,

>>> there
>>>
>>> Interesting project! Would be great if you could share the results!
>>>
>>> You should be able to use PHP's password_hash() on the desired string
>>> like
>>> this:
>>>
>>>   $hash = password_hash("yourpasword", PASSWORD_DEFAULT);
>>>
>>> Or on the command line:
>>>
>>>   htpasswd -bnB "" yourpassword|tr -d ":\n"
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Thijs