hackathon Sunday 24 Jan

PEDRO PABLO GOMEZ MARTIN pedrop at fdi.ucm.es
Mon Jan 25 23:42:42 CET 2016

  Hello Thijs,

  Sorry for the delay, but I'm sure you know how stressful a contest day
can be :-)

Thanks for your contribution!
> I'll see what the best way to merge it be. One thing that I'm considering
> is that if you fix the HTML, one would still be needing to edit CSS. So
> would it add much value in the main branch on its own I'm wondering?

  Well, I think that could be useful for others, but it's just an opinion.
In fact, I've done this same change in previous versions of DOMjudge,
although I've never submitted as a patch.
  I'm aware that changing the CSS is still a bit boring because server
access is needed. But that is also true for other things, such as using
create_accounts to avoid too manual work registering teams/users. No so
many versions ago, access was also needed for changing the compilation and
executions tools, configuring team logos (that now has been in fact
dropped, AFAI, at least in 4.x), and so on. Your developer tendency today
is to avoid the necesity for that local access, and that is really great.
So I'm sure it would have been a better contribution adding something as
"problem categories" so the column color could be configured in the
frontend instead of patching the CSS. But in the meantime (and because I'm
not so competent with DOMjudge source code :( ) I feel using CSS could be
good enough. After all, I've being using DOMjudge since 2010 and I've
always had access to the server so I don't think this is a hard
restrinction :-)

  Anyway, this is obviously an opinion :-) and you have a better vision of
the DOMjudge future development, so I will understand any decision about
this unimportant change :-) Nevertheless, for claryfing myself, what we
have done is a small contest with students from three different level
courses, but just a problem set. There were problems adapted for each
student level, and we have used different points for each problem. What we
wanted was to be able to shade each problem column depending on the problem
category (and points). Teams categories had the same color as a hint
showing what problems were created with what students in mind.
Nevertheless, any student could submit a solution for any problem. This is
the first rows of our final scoreboard where colors are quite meanful.

[image: Inline image 1]

  The first four teams were in the fifth semeter, and the last two problems
were specifically created for them. The other two problem/students
categories were beginners and intermediate.

  Anyway, thank you for your work. You've made possible many local
programming contests around the world that would have not existed without
DOMjudge.
    Pedro Pablo